My Son/Daughter is going to University - What do they need?
A comprehensive list of the things they’ll need to take and the things they don’t.
From the offer of a place to the day they are ready to move on to the next chapter, emotions will be running high. To keep things simple we have compiled a comprehensive list of the essentials.
So, what will they need to take? It’s tempting to pack up the car with all the home comforts but remember the campus visit? Those rooms aren’t that big. Whether on campus or off-site the chances are that they will be in shared accommodation so there will be things provided that are safety tested and compliant with health and safety requirements.
There are a few things that you’ll need to pack.
Make sure that your little brainbox has a file of all their essential paperwork. Starting off on the right foot will relieve any stress and tension in the first few days when they are settling in, leaving them free to mix and mingle and make new friends. Some of the documents required include.
- Valid passport and/or driving licence (ID, University admission acceptance letter/Course acceptance letter, accomodation contract, student finance documents/scholarship or bursary letters, Insurance documents, Passport photos, , Insurance documents, Passport photos, Vaccination history and Prescription copies, Bank debit card, Student discount cards.
An oohbox is the perfect place to keep all your paperwork together.
Remember the essentials, the electrical items that they’ll need to get through lectures as well as a way of keeping in touch with their new pals and of course family.
- Laptop and Printer, USB memory stick, Ink and paper, Cables and power leads, headphones, speakers and games console, Device chargers, Batteries.
Household Items – Bed and Bath
This list is about home comforts, those favourite things that will help settle the nerves. Favourite bedding, photos and nik-naks! New PJ’s and Dressing Gown and of course toiletries. We have Pamper Gift Boxes for him and for her containing some luxury products that will prove to be a lovely treat to set them up for their new adventure.
- Bedding, Mattress protector, Coat hangers, Laundry basket, Small mirror, Clothes horse, Desk fan, Small safe, Earplugs, Photos of friends & family, Storage bags.
- Bath towel/Hand towel, PJ’s and Dressing gown, Toiletries – Soap, toothpaste, Flip-flops, Toilet roll, Hairbrush, Hair straighteners/dryer, Make-up and remover, Nail cutters/Tweezers, Small first-aid kit, Razors and shaving cream, Sanitary products, Contraceptives/STI Test Kit, Paracetamol/Medication, Personal supplies (e.g. contact lens solution)
- Student recipe book, Small cutlery set, Plate/Bowl/Mug/Glass, Sharp knife (general purpose), Scissors, Tupperware, Bottle opener, Chopping board, Ladle/Spatula, Pans, Measuring jug, Can opener/Peeler, Cheese grater/Whisk, Baking tray, Oven gloves/Tea towel, Washing up liquid/Washing up sponge or brush, Bin bags, Tin foil/Cling-film
The above lists are the practical items that will be needed on a day to day basis and things that you might not necessarily think of. On top of this you’ll need to load the car with clothes and a starter pack of food. There will be shops by the campus so the “Big Shop” and fresh food can be purchased closer to their new home.
- Tea/Coffee/Sugar, Dried pasta and Rice, Biscuits and chocolate to share with new friends. There's no better ice breaker than a biscuit or bag of sweets.
We have curated a special Student Gift Box with a selection of handy treats to celebrate the new chapter and we’ve also got some practical gifts that are perfect for those who need to commute to lectures, we have notebooks and a handy and stylish USB Pen with 16GB of memory.
Remember that this is the start of a new chapter and is often the first step to independence. Here is where real friendships are made, friendships that can last a lifetime.